Most homes in Fishers, Indiana have basements, but these basements are left unattended. They are used for the storage of old toys, seasonal decorations, and sometimes gym equipment. But maybe it’s time to reconsider how to use the basement.
What Goes on During a Basement Finishing
There’s so much involved in basement finishing and whether you’re planning to do it yourself or hire professionals, having the knowledge of what goes on in a basement finishing can help you plan, set a budget, and gives you a better picture of what kind of project you’re up against.
Below is a step by step guide of what basement finishing entails;
- Before beginning the finishing process, you want to ensure that you’ve dealt with the problem of basement dampness. Find a permanent solution by talking to a local professional specializing in basement or foundation waterproofing.
- Decide on what to use your basement for; whether you’re going for a home theatre, a play area, or another bedroom, having an idea of what you want helps to plan the layout.
- Look for help; if you want to end up with quality living space consider hiring an interior designer to get the most out of your space.
- If you are thinking of remodeling your basement, you need to think about the need for good air circulation by adding openings where necessary. I’m sure you don’t want to end up with a dingy space.
- Maximize your lighting; you can do this by adding more windows and because basement ceilings are usually low you can use indirect lighting that splashes large pools of light to the ceiling.
Insulate your basement walls and select practical furnishings such as the use of rugs that can be removed and cleaned.
So How Long Does it Take to Finish a Basement?
A basement finishing job is a big investment and an extensive project, so you want to take your time. Though, the standard time varies from 4-8 weeks.
Unfortunately, these kinds of projects do not have a standard cost, so you may want to explore your options with different local professionals.
Hope this knowledge can give you the confidence to take up the project of basement finishing. Good luck.